Lace Inset Shorts/ Simplicity 1563 Review

So I decided a few months ago that I was going to use this nice black poly linen jersey from Surge to make some sleep shorts. Its thin and soft and stretchy and was on sale for $5 a yard, so I got a yard without knowing what I was going to use it for. One day I decided sleep shorts, so I used Simplicity 1563 because it looked pretty simple. I mean, they're lounging shorts... how hard could they be? So I cut them out and pinned the legs up and they were ready to sew. And there they sat... for months. I think it was because I had lost my sew-jo and when I did sew, I was using some color other than black in the serger and my lazy ass didn't want to change the thread. Its not hard, I'm just lazy. Working on that.


For guys and gals...

Anyways, once I got my sew-jo back, I was cleaning off my sewing table and finishing UFOs left and right when I came upon these shorts. I sewed them up in no time and they fit just fine. But I wanted something more. One of my unofficial New Years resolutions was to use up some of my lace that I have in my stash. A lot of it is non stretch lace trim and I have a hard time trying to use it because I am a fan of knits and if the non stretch lace is applied to a stretchy area, chaos ensues. Or threads pop, which is annoying. But I went digging through my laces and found this cool remnant piece that I got in one of those Lingerie Grab Bags that I love from Tailor Made Shop. So I decided to make a little triangle piece and add it to the outside of the legs. I had enough of the lace to make 2 decent sized triangular inset pieces and I simply sewed them onto the outside of the shorts, sewing over the same seams twice for strength. I also used a zig zag stitch so they could stretch at the seams if needed. Then I cut the 'fashion' fabric out from under the lace and voila!




...and the other side. Sometimes these shorts look kinda gray with the flash.


Yeah, these look super gray. Its a heathered kind of fabric, but they're definitely closer to that first pic in color. Anyways, I love them! My old shorts were getting old and they were plain and I wanted something fun. Plus I have a ton of fabric, so I'm trying to use some of it up.

One more UFO down! Woo!

Comments

Popular Posts