Simplicity 2599 Review/ Feeling Flouncy

One of my favorite places to buy fabric recently has been Surge Fabric Shop, and they are moving to another state! Its a big deal for them and they have been running some amazing moving sales, so I scored 3 different colors of their poly linen jersey to make some basic t-shirts with. These guys were $5 a yard and I got 1 yard of each, so it's perfect for making t-shirts. And this is my first one... Simplicity 2599.



I found an app for organizing my sewing patterns through a facebook page for sewing enthusiasts and I love it! Its called Trello and it is mainly used for businesses who are completing a project because you can assign tasks, make checklists, add pictures and give timelines. I have my patterns into 2 major groups, vintage and modern. Anything from 1980 and older goes into the vintage card. I have them all grouped into categories, too. So if I am looking for only 1960's patterns, they all come up easily. And each one has their own picture and a brief description. Its nifty.

While I was trying to describe them as best I could, I noticed that I have quite a few patterns for t-shirts, even though they seem to have all sorts of decorations on them. Simplicity 2599 was one of them. It looked like a really good basic t-shirt. So my intention was to make a basic t-shirt, but I realized after I cut out the pieces that I had some fabric left over, so I decided on 3 flounces in the front. The pattern calls for 5, but I wasn't feeling all that and I only had enough for 3.


I am really digging the flounces. And all this with only 1 yard of fabric! And I had to take it in twice. Twice. I am never sure why the measurements are on the back of the pattern because some of the newer patterns give finished garment measurements inside on one of the pattern pieces and it never matches what is on the back of the envelope. Maybe I am missing something here. Like this one, for instance, shows on the back that I should cut a 14 because my bust is a 36. However, this pattern only went to a size 12, so I cut that. Then I noticed the measurements on the front pattern piece... The finished garment measurements. So for a size 6, the pattern would be a 36 in the bust. What the what?? I thought if I was a 36 in the bust, I needed to cut a size 14?? How did it suddenly go to a 6?? That's a big difference. I did have to take it in a bunch, but why are the finished garment measurements not the ones on the actual envelope? Shouldn't they have the finished garment measurements on the envelope itself so you know how much fabric to buy and not overshoot like a mutha. And not have to take it in a ton. Ugh. Again, maybe I am missing something here. End rant.


Aaaand the insides.


Closeup of the neck facing. I really despise facings because I feel like they are more trouble than they're worth. But I couldn't think of how to finish the neckline and I had just enough left to make the neck facings, so there they are. I really like the way the thread matches. I was going to go with black, but I ended up buying some dark blue and dark green serger thread a few months ago and they match both the dark blue and dark green poly I bought, so yay!

Overall, I really liked this pattern! The measurement thing is kind of shitty, but I will just have to look out for that in the future. I do like that about the vintage patterns, that they don't have a separate finished garment measurement inside the envelope. What you see is what you get. I am planning on making a couple of 40's dresses soon. I realized that I really love the few Vogue patterns I have from the 40's. Some of them are so freaking cute! I showed some of them to my mom the last time I went 'down the mountain' as she calls it. I really wanted to wear something vintage-y for my visit, but its too damn hot already. It got hot early this year in Tennessee. Our 'normal' temps are in the 80's and its been the low 90's this past week. On the one hand, I hate constantly being sweaty. But on the other, my plants LOVE it. I had 5 tomatoes and one blueberry today when I went out to check on the garden! C'est la vie.

Comments

Popular Posts