Floral Blazer/ Simplicity 3962 Review

The other day I was looking through my closet for a blazer of some sort to put over a dress and I came up empty handed. I forgot that I donated all of them for some reason a few years ago. Maybe because I work from home and thought I wouldn't wear them, but oh how wrong I was. I actually used to have a small collection of blazers because every time I went to Goodwill on a lunch break at my former job, I almost always walked out with one. I don't know who kept donating them, but that one Goodwill had some rockin blazers. Anywho, I used to wear them a lot with a t-shirt and jeans and occasionally over a dress, so I thought I should make a versatile one, like basic black. I had recently found this black fabric at one of our thrift stores and there was quite a bit of it. Its lightweight and kind of silky feeling, so I instantly pictured a jacket and matching skirt. I am still deciding on which skirt, but for now here is the jacket.



This pattern consisted of 9 pieces because I was making version B with the bow on the collar. However, I ended up not using the bow. It was fairly easy to put together except that I forgot to cut out a lining. I was trying to keep myself busy because the husband had company over and I thought it would be the perfect time to sew a semi-big project. I say that because it has 9 pieces and both an outer and a lining, which is waaaaay more things than I usually get into. So I found this fabric in my stash and there was plenty for a lining. So I cut that out and began to assemble!


Giant flowers, shades of blue... I'm all in!

The fabrics were both pretty fray-ey but it didn't take long to put together so there wasn't much actual fraying going on. The collar part was kind of odd the way you cut the little hole that the bow goes into, and I wasn't super happy with it so when I was sewing the collar on I just sewed over the hole. Maybe I will make another one and add the bow, but as for this one its pretty plain, which I like. It can go with a lot of things, but the lining is still fun.



This one was pissing me off in the picture taking stage because its got kind of a sheen to it and I kept thinking there was something on the jacket or the lens. O.o

For some reason I was having an issue with the bottom hem and the instructions were not helping, so I went and got my husband and he helped me figure out what it was trying to say. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes are all you need. I'm still not 1000% happy with the bottom hem, but its ok. It was just an odd way of making the hem. Next time I might just cut it so that the whole bottom hem is even and not do any of their folding madness. But it does look nice on the inside with the folded-ness at the bottom, so eh.


Inside-ness... Ooooooh.

The buttons were fun because they kind of have a bit of blue to them, but they are mostly black which was hard to photograph. They just look blue in the pictures.



Other than the weird bottom folding hem of doom, I like the way this turned out! It fits beautifully and I can see wearing this a lot. Now to find a skirt to make...

Comments

Popular Posts