Tap Shorts/ Simplicity 5063 Review

Ever since I got more into vintage lingerie, I've seen quite a few versions of tap shorts. I thought they were so sweet looking so naturally I wanted to make them! I didn't have very many short patterns, but I did see this one and thought it would work pretty well.



I had started off by reading some of the reviews from folks who have made this before and they usually have the same complaint: the front just ties closed. No zipper, no button... Nothing but the tie. It tends to leave a little gap once tied. It seems like they're almost suitable for like a beach cover up. However, that's precisely why I wanted to make them! I wasn't looking for shorts to wear out in public, but more for either around the house or under dresses if they're not too form hugging.

This pattern probably could have been made in 1 hour if I had sat down and really focused on making them, but as usual I had about 30 different things going on, so I made them in 2 evenings after work. The pattern consisted of 3 pieces; a front, a back and an elastic guide for the back waist part. I actually left out the elastic because the shorts were pretty big and I ended up taking them in twice, but next time I might try the elastic and just see how it goes. But they were super easy to make. Stitch crotch ((shudder)) edges together, stitch front to back, finish tie edges, hem. They very well could be done in an hour if I hadn't tried to make them look so nice. haha.


Le front... Its kind of a challenge to photograph them on my dummy because its not made for shorts or pants, so I had to pin it up all wonky like. But hey, it works!


And le back. These kind of turned into some booty shorts in the back. Not that I'm complaining. And not that my husband is complaining, either. ;-) It kind of fits into the whole pin-up thing. Maybe we can take some pin-up type pics with them. They're kind of silky, but not silk. I'm not 100% sure where this fabric came from because I've had it for a long time, but it drapes nicely and was perfect for these shorts.

I used my serger for all the inside seams and edges and I turned the serged edges to the inside and used a double needle in the outside for a nice professional look.




I like the way the ties turned out. The double needle made everything look so nice.

But really once I made them, the tie part didn't bother me at all. Maybe I'm tying it up more than everyone else, therefore eliminating the gap? That also might be because they're a little big. It ended up working out in the end because I wanted a loose short, but the pattern I had was L/XL so I cut out the large and had to take it in twice. So now the leg holes have some wiggle room and the waist is still roomy but not so large as to fall down. Again, next time I might try the elastic along the back edge and see how those turn out. But these guys are comfy enough to sleep in as is. I might be making more of these in lightweight cottons for summer. Very, very happy with these guys!

Comments

Popular Posts