Gertie Skirtie

The other day I was getting ready for work, and I realized that I had nothing to wear. It was one of those days. Nothing seemed cute. I know I work from home and no one sees me but my husband and my cats, but still. Then I realized that I had not made anything new in a couple of weeks because of the new found joy of card making, so I looked at my fabrics and patterns and decided on a skirt. Dresses are great for just grab and go, but mix and match pieces make for a fun wardrobe.

Anywho, I decided on a skirt and I really, really, really wanted to use this boarder print fabric and I wanted it to be on a gathered or pleated waist, but none of my patterns were going to work because this fabric was not long enough for any of the patterns I chose. I will probably attempt making a gathered waist skirt of my own and not use a pattern, but I wanted a quick make and that was going to require more brain than I was willing to use at the time.


Sooooooooooo cute. Arghhhhhhhhhh.

So instead I chose this lovely burnt orange fabric that I recently found at the thrift store. With fall (hopefully) coming up soon and with only 100 days until Halloween (squeeeeeeeee), I was in need of something special.



There was plenty of this (3 yards, I think) to make a nice skirt, so I chose the flared skirt from the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book that my husband bought for me. I didn't want the hassle of making a ginormous circle skirt, as lovely as they are, because that takes an ass-ton of time to hem and I am lazy. This skirt had enough swing for me without being a pain in the butt to hem.



It was super easy to assemble and only took a couple of hours to complete, minus the 24 hours that it hung on my dummy to make sure the hem line wasn't going to stretch or get wonky. I used my trusty serger to finish all the seams and then stitched them down for a nice clean look, minus the stark white thread. I thought it looked better than black against the orange, but it stands out either way. Luckily no one will see it but me and my launderer, aka the husband.





I gave it a pretty large bottom hem (2 inches) because I wanted it to be tea length, not crazy cat lady length. The large-ish hem gave the bottom little stability and makes it seem to stand out a bit, almost like I had added some horsehair braid or something.



Still deciding on the placement of my dummy in my room. Might be moving some stuff around some more soon.


Not the same shade, but an orange zipper nonetheless.

Overall, I am very happy with this skirt! It fills a need for some new clothes without being a whole dress, but in all honesty it made me want to make some more dresses for the upcoming fall season, so yeeeaaahhhh.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts