Dip Dyeing Away

So I have never tried dyeing shoes before, but these were free so I thought I would give it a shot. My sister in law gave me these super cute heels and they fit perfectly!



The only problem was that she had tried to sharpie one of them completely black, but you could still kind of see the cute check pattern underneath.


She got farther than I would have. I would have given up long before completing one whole shoe.

So her idea inspired me to see about actually dyeing them black. I very much wanted a strappy pair of black shoes for special occasions. I still had some black dye and I have been itching to dye something lately. The only issue I could see before starting was the possibility of the dye not taking at all, or not taking on just the sharpie itself. I boogied on over to Youtube to see what other people tried.

I particularly liked this video but mainly for her adorable accent. It had some good tips, too. I also liked this one because this seemed like the easiest method with a paintbrush. I wasn't sure if I had a paintbrush at home, so I was debating on just tossing them in a bucket with the dye and seeing how they turned out. I also wasn't sure if the paintbrush method was the best way to completely saturate them with black. Saturated with Black... sounds like a band name...

So, I wanted to see what would happen if I just set them in a dye bath, aka straight dye with maybe a hint of water and salt. I was toying with the idea of leaving them overnight, but I didn't want a long soak to mess the shoes up. However, after an hour of soaking whilst we watched some Walking Dead, the non-sharpied shoe still showed some white, so I stuck them back in. Needless to say, I decided to overnight soak them. What the hell? Plus, I had more Walking Dead to watch. We're about mid way through season 4... gotta catch up! No time to keep checking a dye bath!

I woke up this morning and went in to see how they looked. The shoes kept floating in the small amount of dye bath, so I had to stick them face down and sit a bottle of car wash soap on top to hold them in place. I removed that car wash and gave them a rinse. Hells to the yeah, they looked all black! I still had a teensy bit of dye coming out while I rinsed, but I had to go to work, so I had the husband run them under some more water for me. When I got home, here is what I saw:



So before they dried, they looked all black! But then they dried and it was more like a dark gray check pattern, which was cute. But one shoe was still a bit darker than the other because of the sharpie-ness, so I wore them to work and sharpied the other one. I like the way they look! But whilst at work, one of the straps came out of the shoe. Perhaps I should not have completely soaked them, but its too late now. So I will attempt to glue it back into place. Other than that, they were super comfy and cute and I was pleased with the results! Next time, I might do the 'paint it on' method instead to not compromise the integrity of the shoe structure. :)

Comments

Popular Posts